We got back from our adventure on the French Riveria last Tuesday and life has been nonstop.
Into the fire…
Of course Hubs and I both came home with a cold (one of us always gets sick when we travel), and now we think we are infecting the entire Atlanta metro area with the latest designer contagion, the Coronavirus.
AGMA initially wanted to get tested, but quickly found out that, due to the stunning foresight of der Führer Twitler wanting to give all his billionaires BFF’s a tax break, public health funding has been slashed at every level of government and many positions in the public health sector are unfilled. Currently, there are no tests available unless you are on your deathbed.
A little late methinks.
The US is 6 weeks behind most countries in preparing to deal with the Coronavirus.
So we’re sending up thoughts and prayers (Mother and Coronavirus Tsar VP Pen-is would approve!) that we really do have a run of the mill cold and nothing more exotic.
In the meantime, AGMA thinks I’ll have a beer.
Our trip was really great! Unseasonably mild temps and sunny days were pretty much the rule rather than the exception.
- Carnival in Nice! The Flower Parade during the day one day and the Night Parade one evening that was TOTALLY over the top!
- The Menton Citrus Festival and parade! Floats made up of oranges and limes, beautiful women in feathers and sequins, people in butterfly outfits on stilts, Italian bands and lemon tarts (the kind you eat that is…)
- The Carmargue National Park where flamingos and Carmarge ponies frolic along with Camargue bulls (they get to live in the bull fight ring) and Spanish bulls (not so lucky in the ring). The main products are rice and speciality salt. It was an area unlike any other I’ve been in in France.
- Gorges du Verden. One of the Grand Canyons of France. It’s a beautiful area in the Var. In the summer, it’s packed with tourists. The day we went (and it’s a full day trip from Nice), it was virtually deserted.
- The Casino in Monte Carlo. Proves that AGMA can lose money with the best of them!
- The view from our apartment in Marseilles.
- Great art!
- And of course great food and wine!!
Next week I’m supposed to leave for Turkey.
Right now they are COVID-19 free (“right now” being the operative words.). But of course they share a border with Iran that is Coronavirus central behind China and Italy. And Iran is still pissed off at Twitler for assassinating that general a couple of months ago and has vowed revenge against Americans.
And over the weekend, Turkey declared war against Syria.
AGMA’s not really feeling too warm and fuzzy about this trip.
On the bright side, I bet there will be a lot of empty seats on the plane…